|How to convert from belt-driven clutch fan to dual electrical fans...|
I really want to create a ram-air setup for my camaro using the TPI dual filter setup. To make this work however,
I need to switch from the clutch fan to electric fans, so that I have room above the radiator shroud for the air "
snorkel". I came across a great deal on the fans, so off I went...
Fan Control - there are many theories on how to control the dual fans. I will start with simplicity -
both fan relays will be energized by the ignition circuit. If this proves to be too much load on the
alternator, I will rethink the plan. In the summer, I don't see much of an issue with this setup.
Eventually, I will have one fan controlled by engine temp, and the other triggered by use of the
air conditioning. I will likely also have a manual override switch to run both fans on demand.|
|Click on bordered images for full size...|
|This is a diagram of the dual fan setup
|This is a mock-up of the fans & brackets.
Instructions (as I remember them, your mileage may vary!)|
1) Remove clutch fan nuts
2) Remove clutch fan
|Pic of old shroud & clutch fan...
3) Replace clutch fan nuts|
|Lots of crud between radiator & consendor...
|This is the crud in my shopvac...Yuck...
10) Mount upper shroud, make sure it has radiator rubber mounts and the u-bolts for the fans|
|The upper bracket from the donor car was missing a rubber mount, so I moved it off the old shroud...
11) Move u-bolt from old shroud mounting location (passenger side) to the location closer to center|
|Pic of one of the new fans after mounting...
14) Check alignment - I shimmed one fan (with washers on the lower mount) that appears to have a slightly twisted bracket|
Gotta love the special coolant absorbing pink towel...
|Relay Wiring pic #1...
|Relay Wiring pic #2...
18) Wire fans to ground (I used a body ground by the battery (see the relay mounting pic)|
|Wire looming pic #1...
22) Wire loom everything & use wire loom holders (there are holes in the fan brackets for them)
|Look at the nice wire looming job :>)
|Wire looming pic #2...